Marriage/Civil Unions

As of June 1, 2021, we are accepting walk-ins for marriage licenses but appointments are preferred.
To make an appointment, please call 303-582-5321 or email [email protected]

We now accept credit cards! 

Where and when can a license be obtained in Gilpin County, Colorado?

To obtain a marriage license, please print and complete the Application, or come to the office to complete one. Both parties should be present with valid ID. 
It is requested that you make an appointment by calling 303-582-5321 to come in to get a license. 
Application for Marriage license
Application for Civil Union license

Also available is a Common Law Affidavit for completion for some insurance purposes. You can file the form by mailing it to our office with a check for $13 made out to Gilpin County Clerk and Recorder.
Form can be found here: Common Law Affidavit

Hours: Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm.

  • Gilpin County Old Courthouse, 203 Eureka Street, Central City, CO 80427

How to Apply

  • It is recommended that both parties be present to apply for the marriage license. However, if this is not a possibility, one party must appear with a completed and notarized affidavit as well as identification for the absent party. Party must be in office for application no later than 3:30pm. Appointments are requested. 
  • A couple already married may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other.
  • Applicants for a marriage license do not have to be Colorado residents.
  • The marriage license must be used in the State of Colorado.
  • If divorced, the individual will need to provide the following information:
    • Date
    • Place
    • Court where the final decree was granted


Legal identification for proof of age is required. All forms of identification must be verifiable in the United States. The following are acceptable:

  • Driver’s License
  • Birth Certificate (Original or Certified Copy)
  • Military I.D.
  • Valid Passport
  • State Issued Identification

The Clerk and Recorder's office will also request the following information:

  • Social Security Number
  • Place of birth for both applicants
  • Names of both parents for both applicants
  • Address of both parents for both applicants

In Colorado a Blood Test is NOT required!

Identification NOT Accepted

  • Baptismal Certificates
  • Mexican Consular I.D. (Matricula Consular)


The fee to obtain a marriage license is $30.00. Your license may be used immediately within the State of Colorado and is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. You may purchase your license at any of the Clerk and Recorder's offices in Colorado.

For additional information you may call the Clerk and Recorder’s office at (303) 582-5321.

Judges may be contacted through Gilpin County Combined Courts at (303) 582-5522.

Marriage Solemnization

Marriages may be solemnized by the following people:

  • Judges;
  • Retired Judges;
  • Magistrates;
  • Ordained Minister;
  • Indian Tribe Officials and Clergy;
  • The couple themselves.

The person who does solemnize the marriage must forward the marriage certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder’s office within sixty (60) days after the marriage.


Couples are prohibited from marrying in the following cases:

  • When one of the parties is still married to another person;
  • Brother and Sister;
  • Uncle and Niece (Whether the relationship is by half or whole blood);
  • Aunt and Nephew (Whether the relationship is by half or whole blood).

Parental Consent

Legal age without parental consent is 18 for both parties involved.

If either of the parties are under the age of 18 and over the age of 16, written and notarized consent signed by both parents (or parent having legal custody), or legal guardian is required.

If either of the parties are under the age of 16, a Judicial Court Order from the court jurisdiction is required.

Statewide Index of Marriages and Dis-solutions

To research records from 1975 to current - within 6 months go to

Heirloom Certificate

The Heirloom Certificate for births, civil unions and marriages is available at the State Vital Records Office. For additional information please see Official Heirloom Certificates.

Gilpin County | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation.