Titling a Vehicle from Out of State

To title and register a vehicle from another state, the following is required:

  1. If you have the title in your possession, bring it with you to our office along with your current registration (photocopies not accepted), and we will issue a Colorado title. If you do not have the title in your possession (either the title is being held by a lienholder, or in storage), a current registration is acceptable in order to establish a suspense record for you to buy Colorado license plates. If you don't surrender your out-of-state title, you will not receive a Colorado title. However, your out-of-state title is still valid for transfer of ownership or to establish a lien. We recommend surrender of the out-of-state title because, should the title become lost or destroyed, you will need to contact the state in which it was issued in order to replace the title; this can be more costly and time consuming.
  2. In addition to the title and/or registration, the State of Colorado requires a Verification of the Vehicle Identification number, to match the number on the title or registration. This inspection can be done by any local law enforcement agency, Colorado dealer or emission station. The Clerk and Recorder's office or law enforcement agency will have the form available for you. If you are moving from a non-title state, your vehicle may require a Certified VIN Inspection or other documents. This procedure may require you to speak with one of our clerks for complete details. Please call our office at (303) 582-5321 to speak with a clerk.
  3. Weight slips are required on all motor homes and trucks with an empty weight of more than 4500 pounds. (If the weight is not displayed on the out-of-state title or registration.)
  4. Proof of insurance and identification is required before our office can register any vehicle.

Back to Motor Vehicles Home

Gilpin County | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation.